Why is it that so often we zoukers go on about connection, the art (and mastery) of leading & following, musicality - and now about flow?
Perhaps it's because these things are the essence of zouk. They're what makes zouk so great, so magical... do I dare even to say unique? At the very least, these are the things what many of us identify in zouk and fall in love with.
In the previous post I talked about what is flow in creativity, psychology and ultimate in dance. I gave tools to achieve (or enhance) dance flow. To sum it up in zouk and partner dancing context, here's a mini guide how to work towards flow in social dancing:
- Set the mood: flowing music, comfortable surroundings, perhaps smooth lighting and floor.
- Direct you full focus on your partner and the music.
- Establish a soft connection right from the start of the dance.
- Find a shared skill level with your partner and set your concentration on leading / following.
- When the dance begins let your thoughts go - and go with the flow.
Zouk videos that will flow you away
I compiled a short list of my favourite zouk videos from the past few years that show a nice dance flow. In the playlist you'll see videos with different zouk styles, different combinations of dancers (1 leader & 2 followers as wells 2 leaders and 1 follower), different settings, different music styles...
Sit back and enjoy the flow!
A few more videos of flowing social dancing:
Do you have another video in mind that best show the dance flow? It doesn't have to be a zouk video! Let me know by commenting on this post!